Skip To Content

You are here:  Parents > First Year FAQs
Below are some of the questions asked by incoming first-year students. If you have a question that isn't answered here, please contact the Office of Campus Life, , x4280 for housing or COOT questions or the Dean of Students Office, , x4255 for all other questions.  

photo Is credit awarded for college level courses taken during high school?
Yes, credit may be given if the courses were not part of a dual enrollment or early college high school program, and were taken on the campus of an accredited, degree-granting institution along with other college students and taught by a college professor. Colby's registrar ( will review your college transcript and determine how many, if any, credits will transfer for a particular course. Alternatively, a course may fulfill distribution requirements and/or serve as a prerequisite to a higher-level course, even if it doesn't earn credit hours toward the 128 required for graduation.

Does my financial aid apply to study abroad and exchange programs?
Yes, your financial aid may be used for all approved study abroad programs, including those that are open to first year students in Salamanca and Dijon. A number of domestic exchange programs also permit you to use Colby aid. In any of these courses of study, student aid is based on the actual cost of the program up to a maximum of Colby's expense budget.

When do I need to be on campus if I am planning on participating in a fall sport?
Fall first-year athletes arrive on campus for orientation like all other first-year students.  Any exception will be at the directive of the coach.  Most people coming from a distance stay over the night before in local accommodations to get an early start on orientation day. On that day you check into your room and you may have a team meeting and one practice, depending on each coach's particular schedule. Try outs and practices will resume after your return from COOT.

How does registration work? What do I have to do and who do I get in touch with when I have a question regarding a specific class?
This spring a packet will be sent to you and it will include (among other items) course registration materials.
What about jobs on campus?
All full-time Colby students may work on campus regardless if they have been awarded a work-study grant or not.  Certain times of the year job availability can be limited but the student employment office staff is available to give you some direction to help you start your campus search.  Students have access to the Student Employment tab for more information.

Are students allowed to have cars on campus?
Yes, all students, including first-years, are allowed to have cars on campus and parking is available in campus parking lots. All vehicles must be registered with the Department of Security and a student parking sticker displayed on the vehicle.

What kind of furniture items are already in the rooms? How big are the beds?
The College supplies a bed, a mattress (not a twin size - at 36" x 80", they are considered "extra long"), a desk with a chair, a wardrobe/closet, and a dresser for each person. You will need to bring your own bed linens (twin size contour sheets are not suggested, as they will not fit your bed), a mattress pad, a pillow, blankets, a bedspread, and towels. You'll receive a mailing from the Residence Hall Linens company this summer. Due to limited storage facilities for bed frames, Colby discourages the practice of constructing lofts. A wastebasket is essential, but should be made of metal. Tapestry-type ceiling/wall hangings, candles, oil lamps, and incense are not permitted as they present a potential fire hazard.

What about AP exams and scores? I haven't received my test results yet; how do I preregister for my Colby classes?
If Colby was listed as a recipient of your scores, we will receive your scores at about the same time you do.  Credits shown will not count toward the 128 required for graduation, but can be used for advanced course placement and to satisfy distribution requirements. Individual AP exemptions will appear on the Web as they are posted. Until then, sign up for your courses as if you had not taken the APs.

The Registrar will review all scores received and automatically implement appropriate exemptions and placement using your alternate choices.

If you took any AP exams before your senior year (before you knew you were coming to Colby), but none in your senior year, you should write to the testing service and have those results sent. (Colby's CEEB number is 3280.)

How do I send packages ahead of time?
Address packages to:
      Your Name


      Colby College


      #### Mayflower Hill


      Waterville, ME 04901-88##

      (Your four-digit box number will be assigned in mid-August. The last two digits of the zipcode correspond with the first two digits of the Mayflower Hill box number - ie. 7620 Mayflower Hill will use 04901-8876 for the zip)

You will then be able to pick them up upon your arrival. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept packages before August 15 due to space limitations.

I live far from Colby; can I come early to get into my room?
The halls will not be available until check-in, which will begin at 8 a.m. at the Cotter Union. Most students coming from a distance will stay overnight the night before in local motels. Local Accommodations